Friday, May 12, 2006

Vegan Lamingtons

Lamingtons are a traditional Australian treat made by dipping squares of sponge cake in chocolate icing and rolling them in coconut.

To make vegan Lamingtons, follow the directions for Vegan Twinkies. You can make the batter as cupcakes if you can't find a creme canoe baking pan, but don't try to make the batter as one large cake and cut it into squares -- heartbreak awaits. You can fill the cakes with strawberry jam or leave them plain, as desired.

Let the cakes cool completely; best to make them a day ahead.

Now have a large shallow bowl of finely shredded sweetened coconut at the ready, and make

Chocolate Icing

4 cups powdered sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup nondairy milk
2 tablespoons nonydrogenated margarine
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla

Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together in a medium bowl; set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat the nondairy milk and margarine to a boil over medium-high heat. Transfer to the top of a double boiler or a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Add the powdered sugar/cocoa and the vanilla. Whisk until completely smooth. Keep the icing over simmering water as you work to keep it soft.

Dip each cake into the icing, using two forks to help turn and coat all sides. Hold the dripping cake aloft and let the excess icing drip off. Now use two more forks to roll the cake in coconut. Transfer to a wire rack and repeat with the remaining cakes.

Let the icing set for about 15 minutes, then transfer to a covered container and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

12 comments:

Dobsonites said...

Normally lamingtons are made with slightly stale sponge - would leaving this recipe a day or two before cutting into squares still not work? I do like the idea of having lamington cupcakes, but you know, you grow up with them in squares and that's always the way you picture them!

Jennifershmoo said...

No, don't try using this batter to make one or two larger cakes, it just doesn't bake well. It comes out much too dense, and the texture and crumb are poor. I'd have to say trim the cupcakes or cream canoes into squares if you must, but don't try baking one larger cake.

t. said...

Jennifer I actually did these today for Mother's day: it may seem an odd choice of a dessert for the occasion but my mother wanted to clear the cupboard from leftovers and this recipe was exactly what I needed. I used the Chocolate Pudding Cake(which this time turned out without the pudding) from Fat Free Vegan for the spongy part (I made it several days ago and by today it was a bit stale) and then used your recipe for the icing. I just swtiched both vanilla and coconut for almond extract and crushed almonds. Maybe not very "Lamington" but still delicious! It looked great on a plate (the icing was deliciously creamy) and everybody loved it!
Thanks a lot!

slb said...

I made these yesterday with a sponge cake recipe I found online. The squares were harder to dip than I imagine the Twinkies would be, but OMG are these tasty. Holy cow.

s.

C & P said...

Hi, we just wanted to let you know that we enjoyed your post (particularly since the recipe is Australian!) and have included it in the Third Carnival of Empty Cages over at two peas, no pod.

Anonymous said...

I used this to ice the "Fluffy White Cupcakes" here: http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:ChOP2w-XK-wJ:shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006/01/fluffy-white-cupcakes.html+fluffy+white+cupcakes&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

It was wonderfully fudgy and I think I have found the perfect vegan fudge recipe! As a new vegan, I am happy when I find yummy alternatives to things like cupcakes and fudge.

I used 3/4 coconut milk and then some soy (I ran out of coconut milk) and Earth Balance organic spread. I had some left over after icing my cupcakes and it turned into fudge!

Jennifershmoo said...

Ooh, what a wonderful idea to turn the icing into fudge! I might try that for the holidays with some chopped nuts and vegan marshmallows. YUM!

Thanks, mystiaunknown!

Anonymous said...

Another trick us Aussies use is to freeze the sponge squares befpre icing. They don't have to be frozen completely solid. It makes them soooo much easier to handle (and get a grip on when you're dunking them in icing!)

Anonymous said...

I love all your vegan recipes! I am going to forward your vegan Lamington receipe to my Australian mother-in-law. Thanks for your great work! Vegan in LA

mel said...

Thanks for the recipe! Re: the chocolate icing...how hard does it set up? Will it keep at room temp? Also, is it liquidy enough for just a thin coating? I've tried other recipes that just call for melted chocolate and have trouble getting a nice, delicate layer.

Unknown said...

I am sure I made a delicious bar from your website and now I cannot find it, can you help me? It was with buffed cereal, peanut butter and maple sryup.

Jennifershmoo said...

Sorry, puffed cereal and pb isn't ringing a bell...I think it must have been from another site! :-)