Monday, September 22, 2008

Candice's Roll-Out Vegan Oatmeal Cookies

This recipe is from Candice, one of the winners of the Vegan Lunch Box Contest. These healthy cookies contain powdered soy milk (available at health food stores), rolled oats, wholewheat flour, wheat germ, almonds, and flax seeds. "They aren't very sweet," Candice says. "I mostly make them to have a fun activity to do with my 3 1/2 year old son."

Thanks for sharing it with us, too, Candice!

makes 5-6 dozen cookies (or 4 if you use big shapes)

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 2/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup mixture of the following: flax seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and almond slivers
(I actually pre-mix a container of this along with rolled oats that I use in all kind of recipes involving oatmeal. When I make these cookies, I do 1 cup of regular rolled oats and 1 cup of my special "medley")
1 cup powdered soy milk
½ cup water
2 ¼ - 2 ½ wheat flour (finely ground)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt


Preheat oven to 325º.

Cream together vegetable oil and brown sugar. Add the oats, seed-nut mixture, powdered soy milk, and water, and beat well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold into creamed mixture and mix well. You are supposed to chill the dough but I don't have any trouble working with it immediately.

Sprinkle flour on a surface and roll out the dough (since this is a vegan recipe, and therefore not dangerous to eat raw, the whole reason I adapted this recipe was so that my almost 4-year-old son could help me roll it out and use cookie cutters. He is always dying to help me do things in the kitchen! Using the sifter is fun, too!)

Cut out shapes from rolled dough (about 1/4 inch thick) and place on baking sheets. Put the sheets in the oven as soon as they are filled. Bake about 10-15 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your blogs. My blog is a mess, but I have finally come to see that we, as vegans, are many islands inthe stream... and we need to connect to survive.

I think I'll make these cookies for my birthday.

You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

I like this recipe. these cookies are sure to taste great and are extremely nutritious as well. I am going to bake a batch for the holidays when my kids will be at home. I'll be sure that what they are eating is healthy.

Anonymous said...

şarkı dinle -cinsel sohbet-radyo dinle-
islami sohbet-sohbet-sohbet kanallari-
sohbet siteleri-sohbet odaları-cet-
çet-sohbet siteleri-cet-
mirc indir-çet-sohpet-
çet-cet-sohpet-
çet-cet-sohpet-
çet-cet-sohpet-
bedava sohbet-bursa sohbet-
çorum sohbet-denizli sohbet-gay sohbet-
lez sohbet-mersin sohbet-
avrupa sohbet-istanbul sohbet-
izmir sohbet-ankara sohbet-karadeniz sohbet-
mirc-mircler-mirc indir-
trabzon sohbet-adana sohbet-
hatay sohbet-antakya sohbet-
iskenderun sohbet-hatay-
hatay sohbet-hatay sohbet-
türk sohbet-türkçe sohbet-gurbet sohbet-
sivas sohbet-yozgat sohbet-kayseri sohbet

B.A.D. said...

hmmm I was wondering what I could use in the place of your secret mixture?

I have flax seeds but no sesame seeds etc.